This is a recipe I recently made. I wanted chipotle chicken but with veggies and sauce.
I looked online for a recipe, however, there was nothing that fit the bill. I headed to the kitchen and started cooking.
This meal turned out AMAZING.
Chipotle Chicken Thighs
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Chipotle sauce from a small tin of adobo pepper in chipotle sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 3T. Hot honey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large bell peppers or 3 medium bell peppers, cleaned and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- Dash cumin
- Dash salt and pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2T. Corn starch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a crockpot, combine all ingredients but corn starch and water.
- Cook on low for 5 hours, or high for 3 hours.
- Strain sauce into a saucepan, and heat over medium until boiling. While sauce is heating, mix water and corn starch and slowly pour into boiling sauce. Stir until thickened, add back into meat and veggies.
Serve with rice, beans, and tortillas.
If you want extra smokiness, chop 1-2 chipotle peppers and add to the sauce while it thickens on the stovetop.
This freezes well as well- If you have leftovers.
We’ve been doing a lot of meat-free nights around here lately. To be honest, meat is really expensive lately, and the kids and I don’t eat it often anyway.
I was craving soup over the weekend, so I rummaged through the cupboard and fridge and dug out some ingredients that made a super easy and filling soup.
Veggie Cheese Tortellini Soup (makes 4-6 servings)
- 2 t. oil of your choice
- 1 package TJ Farms Seasoning Blend (From Dollar Tree). Contains Onions, bell pepper, celery, and parsley
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced*
- 1 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 tomatoes*, deseeded and diced 0r 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
- 6 cups of your favorite stock- I used veggie stock
- 1 bag of washed spinach leaves*
- 1 bag shelf stable cheese tortellini
- 2 T Italian Seasoning
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat oil.
- Add bag of seasoning blend and carrots. Cook until onions are clear, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook over medium until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer on low for 10-20 minutes.
- After soup has simmered and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add in spinach leaves and tortellini, cover, and cook on low for an additional 15-20 minutes. The pasta will swell as it cooks. Discard the bay leaf prior to serving.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and hot, crusty bread.
All ingredients that have an * next to them came from our Yasukochi Family Farms CSA box. I love these boxes- Farm Fresh produce is delivered to our door once a week, no traveling to the store, worrying that I am overpaying for produce, or that I am going to pick the wrong melon or corn.
If cheese tortellini isn’t your speed, here is a shelf-stable mushroom tortellini that sounds tasty! If you want another type of filled pasta, use the suggested cooking time on the package instead of the time in step 5.
This soup is even better on the second day, and freezes well!
This recipe is dead simple and so tasty! The best part is you can use any kind of Dinner sausage you want. We used Italian Sausages (made with pork), but you can use whatever you like (including veggie sausages if you are meatless).
You can use fresh or frozen peppers and onions (Yes, you can buy frozen peppers and onions at the store- They are often branded as “Fajita Mix”), it’s really up to you.
And you can load your yumminess onto a hoagie roll, top with cheese and chow down, or top a bed of pasta or Zoodles- It’s really up to you.
The best part is this recipe makes a lot, so there are always leftovers!
Sausage and Peppers Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 Package Dinner Sausages (Italian or your choice)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 20-ish ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 T Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- In your slow cooker, combine all the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Turn up to high, remove the lid and cook for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve on a roll/bun, on pasta or zoodles.
- OPTIONAL- Top each serving with cheese.