This recipe came to me, as I was staring into the fridge wondering what the hell I was going to do with all spinach my friend gave me.
Mix it up with whatever veggies you have on hand! Peppers or kale would be great in this dish!
- 1 package chicken meatballs (about a dozen, if making from scratch)
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 c. grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise (about 1 package)
- 3-4 c. fresh spinach
- Juice of 3 lemons
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 T. Thyme
- 1 T. Rosemary
- 1 T. air-dried shallots
- 1 package pasta (I like ziti) cooked per package instructions
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion until translucent.
- Add garlic, and cook on medium/low until fragrant.
- Add meatballs, tomatoes, and herbs. Cook on medium/low, until meatballs are heated thoroughly.
- stir in lemon juice and zest. Scrape pan to remove any browned bits.
- Toss in spinach, turn to low, and cover with the lid. Allow spinach to cook down by about half- this takes only a few minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cooked pasta and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed, and serve ASAP.
This is a great 1 dish meal! It’s very filling, but the acid from the lemon and the chicken meatballs keeps the meal feeling very light.
To make this dish Gluten-free: Use GF pasta and make sure your meatballs are GF.
To make this dish Vegetarian: Use meat-free “meatballs”