The kids have been begging for homemade cookies lately, and I’ve been busy with other stuff, so I haven’t had tons of time to make cookies.
I dug through the cupboard last week and realized that I had all of the ingredients except baking soda. I used the last half box I had to deodorize the kids bathroom.
So I turned to an old favorite, Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle Mix. and because of the other ingredients, I used a smidge of baking powder (please remember that soda and powder are not interchangeable in recipes- it has a lot to do with the other ingredients and their pH/chemical makeup) and the cookies turned out perfect!
Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle Mix contains leavening, so the added baking powder was just a little *bump* to make sure the cookies didn’t come out flat.
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- One stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth preferred
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white/granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick oats, uncooked
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and peanut butter.
- Add sugars one at a time and mix until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated fully.
- Mix in baking powder, salt, flour, and oats. Once all are blended into the dough, add chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon-sized dough balls on cookie sheets that have been greased or are lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking pad. I prefer silicone baking pads.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies rest 1-2 minutes before transferring to the cooling rack.
This recipe makes approx. 3 dozen cookies. If you are allergic to peanuts, you can substitute sunbutter or your favorite nut butter. Do Not use Nutella- It contains a lot of sugar and other ingredients that will throw off the chemistry of the recipe and you won’t get yummy cookies.