One of the best ways to pass a Tuesday afternoon in the summer is to hit up Balboa Park. Each week there are several museums that offer free admission to residents of the City and County of San Diego, and to active military personnel and their dependents. Please be prepared to present a photo ID with your address.
Here is the schedule:
- Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Natural History Museum (Not valid for films) THIS IS NOW CALLED THE MUSEUM OF US
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- San Diego Air & Space Museum (Not valid for special exhibitions)
- Regular admission prices are in effect
The Following Tuesdays: July 26th, 23rd, September 27th, October 25th, November 22nd, and December 27th:
- The Comic-Con Museum (Not valid for “Beyond Amazing: Spider-Man – The Exhibition.” This special exhibit is an extra charge)
As a lifelong San Diego County resident, I’d pass on the automotive museum, it’s kinda meh (I’m not a gear head). And unless your kids are super into airplanes or outer space/NASA, I’d skip the Air and Space Museum. We paid full price a few years ago, and the kids hated it (ok, mostly Bitty hated it). The Mingei Museum is full of all kinds of stuff (folk arts, useful goods like pottery, clothing, quilts- it’s not super kid-friendly), but it’s pretty interesting.
Take a picnic, and enjoy eating in any one of the gardens/open spaces. Another free activity in Balboa Park is the Botanical Garden and Lily Pond. Right next door is the Spanish Art Village, which is fun to explore as well.
Talk Back: What is your favorite part of Balboa Park?