I received an email from Olive Garden this morning telling me tomorrow is National Soup Day. WOOO! In the mood for their Zuppa Toscana? Here is my copycat recipe.
I had planned to make veggie soup this week, it’s a perfect way to use up all the bits and bobs of veggies you have hanging around your kitchen.
Here is my No Fail, Easy Peasy Vegetable Soup Recipe. It’s Vegan and Vegetarian as is.
- 2 quarts Veggie Stock
- 2 c. onions, diced
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1 c. carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 Bell peppers, chopped (your choice of color)
- 2 T. grapeseed oil or your favorite cooking oil
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 large can (approx. 28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2T. Mural of Flavor
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1-2 yellow crookneck squash or zucchini with skin on, cut into bite-size pieces
- In a large stockpot, saute onion, carrots, bell peppers, and celery until veggies are soft and onions are clear (about 20 minutes).
- Add garlic, cook 5-10 minutes until fragrant.
- Add Veggie Stock, Tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, herbs, and simmer on medium/low for 30-45 minutes.
- Add squash/zucchini and continue to simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with bread (I like Beer Bread). Top with Nutritional Yeast or cheese of your choice.
Feel free to substitute in veggies in the amounts that you have. This recipe is just a guide! Other veggies that go great in soup: potatoes, cabbage, green beans, turnips (cook just like potatoes), kale, and spinach.
Leafy greens are added to the soup about 10-15 minutes before serving. Potatoes and turnips should be peeled, chopped and added during step 3.