My Dad made this for us a lot when my mom worked late. I love it because it’s got chicken, onions, cheese, and pasta in it. Pretty much everything I like in life. AND when I was pregnant with Lil’ Man I had such horrible morning sickness round the clock, it was pretty much the only food I could eat. This is a great hot dish, perfect for a family dinner or make a bigger batch for a potluck. It’s a hit with kids and grown ups!
I try to make adaptations for many differing diets, but sadly, this recipe cannot be adapted for Vegans or be made gluten free (unless there is GF Cream of Mushroom soup I don’t know about).
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t. butter
- 1-2 c cooked shredded or cubed chicken (I usually cook a batch of chicken breasts in the crock pot and then portion it up for later use)
- 1 can Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup (if you can’t find it, stick with Cream of Chicken)
- I can of water
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup cheese (you favorite kind- I like sharp cheddar!) You can use more cheese if you like.
- 1 lb pasta, your choice
- Start a large pot of water on the stove and cook pasta as directed.
- While Pasta is cooking In a saucepan, saute the onion in butter, until the onions are clear, about 10 minutes.
- To the onions, add chicken, soup, water, Italian seasoning. Cook until bubbly, stirring to combine ingredients.
- Add cheese and stir until smooth.
- Add pasta and stir to combine.
- If you want to make this a one pot dish, add 1-2 cups steamed veggies, such as broccoli, peas, or asparagus.
- You can use the vegetarian “chicken” pieces in place of the chicken. You can also use leftover Turkey or rotisserie chicken!
- You can also add 1 cup sliced mushrooms and/or 1/2 cup celery while you are sautéing the onion.
- My dad likes the dish topped with butter bread crumbs or slivered almonds.
- To make this dish a little richer, stir in 1/2 cup sour cream (the real stuff, no imitation sour cream) when you add the cooked pasta.
2 thoughts on “Family Recipe: Chicken Tetrazzini”
Comments are closed.