In my goodie bag from Wow Summit a few months ago, we all received CBD oil balm from +CBDOil, and I wasn’t really sure what to do with it. It has a coconut oil base, so for me it was too greasy to use as a topical pain relief (I hate having greasy skin, and stuff like Tiger Balm and Ben Gay make my skin crawl). I had been using it as lip balm, but really, I didn’t need that much lip balm.
I have a few books on making your own beauty products, so I looked for a recipe for bath balms, as I seemed to recall that they called for oil to bind the other ingredients. I also did a quick internet search. I took 5 recipes and sort of Frankensteined together a really good recipe.
Most of these ingredients you have in your pantry already. Citric Acid (also called sour salt) can be purchased at Sprouts or whole foods in the bulk section, or in a grocery store with a large Jewish Food section. Or, of course… There is Amazon.
I weighed my dry ingredients using a food scale, so these measurements are by weight.
- 4 ounces (by weight) Baking Soda
- 2 ounces (by weight) Corn Starch
- 2 ounces (by weight) Citric Acid
- 2 ounces (by weight) Salt (You can use Epsom salt, table salt, or Kosher salt)
- 2 T. Water (more or less make be needed depending on the weather conditions at the time you make the bath bombs)
- 1 T. +CBDOil Balm (it has peppermint oil in it, so I opted to add no additional essential oil)
- Optional (but fun): natural food coloring. I used Watkins. Start with a few drops and add more until you get the color you want.
- In a glass bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add balm, and stir until it starts to clump.
- Slowly add water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add food coloring and stir.
- You can either use bath bomb molds like these, but I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup. I packed the cup, let it sit for a few minutes, invert, and gently tap the bottom of the cup until the bomb releases.
- Let them sit overnight before using.
This recipe makes 4-6 bath bombs, depending on how big you make them.
If you don’t want to use CBD Oil, you can substitute coconut oil, and add in 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil.
A few of my favorite Essential Oil Combinations include:
- Lavender and Vanilla
- Orange and Clove
- Rose and Almond
Talk Back: Have you ever made bath bombs? Did you like it?